03 September 2010

Military decides "Medal of Honor" has no place on PX shelves.

The hit franchise "Medal of Honor" has been pulled from AAFES store shelves.  Any and all locations on Airforce bases, as well as Gamestops located on military bases worldwide will no longer keep the game on its shelves, and will be cancelling any pre-orders placed by soldiers on base..  This decision was based on the fact that the Taliban is portrayed in the game....



Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Taliban in pretty much all modern war games?  Such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2(HINTHINT).  Apparently this has caused stress in war veterans due to the aforementioned Taliban.  Since the only people visiting these on base stores are directly linked to Afghanistan, the game is just too much for them to handle.


Besides the fact that buying this game is a completely personal choice, why aren't other war games being pulled as well?(I.E. MW2, MW, Black Ops, etc.)  There are not now, nor has there been any mention of removing these games from sale in the future.  I, myself, have no served time in Iraq, but I do know many people have served one or more tours overseas; perhaps it's just too realistic, maybe it just hits too close to home.  I guess this kind of decision is just.... above my pay grade.  Badum tss.




[Update as of 3 September, 2010]


An airman has defended this ruling, stating that the Call of Duty games are different... because they're fictional.  I somehow don't buy that excuse.  Something smells a bit fishy here, but I'm not quite sure what it is yet.


Another soldier is actually offended by the decision to ban "a game seeking to honor the military through authenticity," read the article on Kotaku 

No comments:

Post a Comment